Sunday, October 10, 2010

Alexis

This is Alexis

 

She is my baby sister Katie's daughter. Alexis was born 2/7/2009. In May of 2010 she was diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma, a rare form of aggressive cancer in children.Most of the summer of 2010 was spent at Helen DeVos Children's Hospital in Grand Rapids, Michigan as she underwent round after round of chemo, developed c-diff, an infection of the digestive system, and was in and out of isolation.


In September she went through her 6th round of chemo. Afterward she had an MIBG scan to see how much of the cancer remained - it came back CLEAR, SHE IS IN REMISSION!!!! She still has to go through an intensive round of chemo followed by a stem cell transplant and 9ish months of immunotherapy since neuroblastoma is so hard to kill completely and comes back very easily.

Please keep my baby sister, her daughter and the rest of her family in your prayers. Also keep an eye out for updates, they will all be labeled "Alexis" and I will add links at the bottom of this post when I update as well.








3 comments:

Lori Hall said...

http://www.cancertutor.com/index.html

There is a lot of information here. Some of it I have used, myself. Good luck with this sweetpea. There is a reason she made it this far. Use it.

Lori Hall said...

http://www.dca.med.ualberta.ca/Home/Updates/2007-03-15_Update.cfm

greenfoley said...

Thanks Lori! I haven't done an Alexis update in quite a while, I need to! She is doing great, she continues to scan cancer free and recently FINISHED therapy! She will continue to get scanned to make sure nothing is trying to come back and she still has a feeding tube, I'm not sure if it's because she isn't eating good still or what, but otherwise she is doing great! Such a beautiful, happy little girl :) Her hair is growing back beautifully. I really need to do an update post....